If you wish to explore more "Hurricane 101" basics or are looking for information from Hurricane Harvey, the PAESTA website is a good place to start!
View our PAESTA Recommends page for links to information from NOAA, NASA, and more.
The PAESTA Classroom has exercises relating to hurricanes. You can modify some of the previous hurricane exercises and update the questions as they pertain to Hurricane Harvey:
Questions for Classroom Discussion
- What is a hurricane? Why is it considered a natural disaster?
- How do scientists study hurricanes? Who else is involved in studying and reporting on hurricanes besides scientists?
- Describe the track and category levels of Tropical Storm/Hurricane Harvey. How many U.S. states and countries were impacted by Harvey?
- Why is studying hurricanes important?
- What do you think will be the short-term impacts of Harvey on the environment? What do you think will be the long-term impacts of Harvey on the environment?
- Do you think another hurricane will impact Houston? How many have made landfall in this region in the past?
- Should people be able to rebuild their homes and businesses that were destroyed by a hurricane? Why/why not?
— PAESTA News and Notes - September 2017