M.Ed. in Earth Sciences Degree Application Procedures
To expedite your enrollment in our M.Ed. courses, we recommend that you first apply as a "non-degree" graduate student, which will enable you to begin taking courses immediately. Those who wish to apply to the M.Ed. in Earth Sciences degree program can do so later. Fifteen credits earned under "non-degree" status can be counted toward the M.Ed. in Earth Sciences degree.
To enroll as a non-degree graduate student, use the same "Complete the official online application" link provided below, but select "Non-Degree Graduate" as your major. (Enrolling as a non-degree graduate student is a separate process, with a separate application fee, from the degree application process.)
The Admissions Process
To pursue the Master of Education in Earth Sciences degree you must be admitted by three Penn State organizations:
- Penn State's Graduate School,
- the World Campus, and
- the Department of Geosciences.
To apply, you will complete a single online application form that will submit the necessary information to each organization on your behalf.
The M.Ed. in Earth Sciences Admissions Committee reviews completed applications on a rolling basis as applications are received. Please allow four weeks for a decision notification from the time a completed application is submitted.
How to Apply
To apply to the program, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the online application
On the 'Campus, Major, Degree, & Semester" screen of the application, select
- Campus: World Campus
- Major: Earth Sciences
- Degree: M. Ed.
- Semester: Select the semester when you wish to begin the program
- Personal contact information,
- Resume which includes your educational background and recent employment history
- Unofficial TOEFL scores (if needed),
- Academic areas of interest,
- List of higher education institutions from which you have requested transcripts,
- Contact information for your two references,
- Statement of professional experience and goals (this 1-2 page original essay should include a description of your professional experience, as well as a clear statement of how your professional goals may be advanced through participation in the M.Ed. in Earth Sciences program. The essay itself should demonstrate your communication skills), and
- An application fee, which can be paid electronically via credit card or via surface mail.
- Submit two official transcripts from each college or university attended to date
Transcripts must arrive in envelopes sealed by registrar in order to qualify for consideration. Print and complete the request form at http://forms.gradsch.psu.edu/ges/transreq-typeon.pdf and send it to any institution where you have taken CREDIT classes. You may send a personal letter instead, but you should include the same information as on the transcript form. Your educational institution(s) either sends the transcripts directly to Penn State (see address below) or sends you a SEALED letter that you then send (having never opened the letter) to to Penn State (again, see address below). Penn State alums do not need to request transcripts for credits earned at PSU. International Applicants: Transcripts/records must be in the official language of the institution(s) attended, but if that language is not English you must also s end official English translations.
These items should be addressed to:
The Pennsylvania State University
M.Ed. in Earth Sciences Program Admissions - ATTN: Noelle Capparelle
Dutton e-Education Institute
2217 Earth-Engineering Sciences Building
University Park, PA 16802
- Request that the following items be sent directly to Penn State from the testing center, using Penn State's Institution Code (2660):
- Official TOEFL scores (if needed)
International applicants must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The minimum acceptable score for the TOEFL is 550 for the paper-based test, 213 for the computer-based test, a total score of 80 with a 19 on the speaking section for the internet-based test, or a composite score of 6.5 on the IELTS is required for admission. Submit official scores using Penn State’s Institution Code: 2660.
- Official TOEFL scores (if needed)
For questions and further inquiries contact: email@example.com or call 814-863-1590.