Earth Educators' Rendezvous 2017
July 17-21, 2017 | University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
Attending the 2017 Earth Educators' Rendezvous? Check out this workshop designed specifically for graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and others who are interested in pursuing academic careers in the geosciences. To register, go to the Earth Educators' Rendezvous registration page and select the Preparing for an Academic Career workshop as the morning workshop you plan to attend.
The main goals of the workshop are for participants to improve their application and interview skills for academic jobs, become more effective at goal-setting and time management, and broaden their network (of colleagues and resources) to help jump-start their teaching and research as a faculty member.
During the workshop and associated Rendezvous opportunities, each participant will:
- Learn about academic careers in different educational settings (e.g., two-year colleges, primarily undergraduate institutions, universities).
- Develop a plan for your next career stage. Set goals to move toward that plan.
- Learn about the job search process and improve your job applications: learn about documenting strengths and accomplishments in teaching and research, and develop or revise your teaching and research statements.
- Improve your communication skills: the elevator pitch and interviews.
- Explore aspects of effective and innovative teaching. Make your own selections from Monday-Wednesday afternoon Rendezvous workshops and sessions. These are open to you and included in registration.
The third annual Earth Educators' Rendezvous is now open for registration!
The Earlybird Registration Deadline is May 1, 2017.
Late poster submission deadline: May 15, 2017
Who is Rendezvous for?
Our program is designed to appeal to everyone from instructors and graduate students attending their first Earth-education–themed meeting, to experienced STEM education researchers, to administrators who want to better support students in their programs. Among many options, participants can learn about new teaching approaches, discover opportunities to get involved in research programs, prepare for an academic career, or discuss how to approach teaching and learning challenges in their classroom.
For more information on this meeting please visit http://serc.carleton.edu/earth_rendezvous/2017/index.html.